What's Good for Chickens Is Good for Chicks: The Ultimate Pursuit of Beauty

It was a fairly recent biological trend to incorporate artificial growth enhancement hormones in agricultural practice throughout the United States and abroad. One such component was the celebrated "chicken pill," a small tablet infused with growth stimulants which expedited the maturation period of chickens, whilst fattening them. Chicken pills have been in sue for approximately 15 years, of course up until it was permanently banned from aproved agricultural customs within America and, in particular, Jamaica, West Indies, as a result of the vain, super-idealistic nature of the aforementioned countries. 

The chicken pill gained widespread popularity within the underground community of Jamaica, once its "beautifying" qualities were unveiled. These pills were sold under guise labels  like "Gluteus Maxincrease," and "Ms.Big Booty," priced less than a dozen fresh killed farm hens, approximately Five USDs per product. Women throughout the island were content with the low price and guaranteed promise of significant enhancements in the cushion area, (if you know what I mean...) The pills did in fact increase the butt size of women who used the product, however this beauty advantage quickly became overshadowed by its dangerous secondary side effects. In a local West Indian publication, " Dr. Neil Persadsingh, a dermatologist in Kingston, has seen hundreds of young women who have taken chicken pills and have suffered the side effects.
He says it's the arsenic in the chicken pills that stimulates the appetite of the chicken. The government has banned the chicken pill for chickens and women, but it is still available across the island in farm stores and on the street.Some of the side effects include numbness, diarrhea and dermatitis. And arsenic is a cumulative poison that can build up in the body and cause cancer.
What I find amazing is the degree to which women will put themselves at risk to fit an image they consider ideal. - Carolyn Cooper, professor of literary and cultural studies at the University of the West Indies."

Life and Style Union interviews a young, Jamaican girl (whose identity shall remain undisclosed as per her requests) who was courageous enough to share her tumultuous story of when and why she became addicted to chicken pills.

"It's a real ting," begins the young woman, whose Mahogany eyes sink within the mud-paved roads of Portmore. "Lana," is 20 years old, and has experienced, firsthand the pangs of the neverending pursuit of beauty, reflective of Jamaican, cultural ideals. 
Lana: So many girls take these pills and are promised to have bigger butts since the men down here claim that they don't want no 'maga' female. 'Maga' means skinny. 

Ashleigh: From your understanding, what is the chicken pill?

Lana: The chicken pill or fowl feed, as we call it here in the country, is chicken feed. I don't really know how it makes one's butt bigger, but farmers tell us it works, so we take it. A black market ting, like bleaching. 

Ashleigh: When did you begin taking these pills?

Lana: I started taking these pills when I was 17 and the boys were watching us [me and my friends,] saying we were too mal-nourished looking, and true the reggae artists always talk about "fat butts," in their lyrics. So I took them...with my friends.


            "They don't want no maga female..."

Ashleigh: Did you find that the pills worked in your favor?

Lana: Well, true I began to eat alot, alot. It's like my appetite went haywire! Pure bammy and ackee I was eating. I started putting on the weight. My butt did grow a lot. But so did my belly- (laughing). Boy I really went through it.

Ashleigh: Did you experience any side effects after taking the pill?

Lana: At first no. Everybody was like "How she put on the weight so fast." I enjoyed the attention. But then, the stomach aches came. I mean some crippling pain. Nightsweats. The whole ordeal. It was crazy. I lost my friend Sonja to it. True, she went to the hospital and never came back out. Doctors said she died from dehydration, or something of similar nature. I don't really know. But her death, caused me to stop cold-turkey. 

Ashleigh: That is terrible. It's unfortunate that your friend had to die for the price of beauty. Would you say it was a fair exchange?

Lana: Of course not! I think this experience has truely made me realize that I have to appreciate myself for who I am, and what I look like. I was so eager to change myself, it's like I became a chicken pill addict. I took them like vitamins. I could have died. Just like Sonja. Nothing could bring her back. Too too sad.

Ashleigh: Lana, I thank you so much for sharing your story with me and the Life and Style Union audience. You've really helped in shedding some light on this issue. Thank you.

Lana: Thank you, it was my pleasure.


This leaves one to reflect on the impediments a people would fall vulnerable to, in efforts to attain perceptual "beauty." What's your take?

0 comments

Leave a Reply

Copyright 2009 Life and Style Union All rights reserved Designed by LSU Creative Partners